WHAT IS RADIATION?
Radiation is the emission or transmission of energy in the form of waves or particles through space or through a material medium.
WHAT IS IONIZING RADIATION?
Ionizing radiation is radiation possessing sufficient energy to liberate electrons from atoms or molecules. This process of unbinding electrons causes the atom to become charged or ionized. Examples are Gamma rays, X-rays, Beta rays etc.
WHAT IS NON-IONIZING RADIATION?
Non-Ionizing Radiation is a type of radiation without sufficient energy to ionize atoms or molecules. Examples are ultraviolet (UV), visible rays, infrared rays and electromagnetic fields (EMFs) (power frequencies, microwaves and radio frequencies).
WHAT ARE THE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF IONIZING RADIATION?
Exposure to ionizing radiation results in absorption of radiation by the human cells. Cells are made up of molecules and the interaction of radiation with these molecules could lead to some dare consequences. Some possible effects on cells are:
WHAT DOES THE NNRA DO TO KEEP THE PUBLIC SAFE?
- The cell may suffer severe damage, a result of which could be loss of proper function and ultimately death
- The cell may lose its ability to reproduce itself.
- The cell’s genetic code (i.e., its DNA) may be damaged such that future copies of the cell are altered, this may result in cancerous growth.
- Immediate effects could be Vomiting, skin burns, nausea, blood count change and the long term effects can lead to cancer.
NNRA ensures the safe use of ionizing radiation generating sources and equipment by:
WHY YOU SHOULD NOT PATRONIZE UNSAFE AND UNAUTHORIZED X-RAY AND DENTAL X-RAY PRACTICES AND FACILITIES?
- Regulating the use of Ionizing radiation to ensure only facilities that meet the minimum requirements set for safety and the protection of lives and the environment are issued authorizations to operate medical diagnostic radiology facilities.
- Enforcing safety standards are strictly adhered to and defaulters including facilities operating without NNRA Authorizations are shut down and promoters prosecuted.
- Sensitizing the general public on the harmful effect of exposure to ionizing radiation.
You are advised not to patronize unauthorized and unsafe facilities to avoid harmful exposure to ionizing radiation which may lead to cancer or death as the competency of the personnel and the safety equipment are not verified.